Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Art of the Hire

The past week I have been engaged in the fun tango dance of hiring a new employee. I was rather thrilled at the opportunity to be part of it because as much as I've "managed" events, I've never "managed" a person or been given the opportunity to have a say in the hiring process.

This time I was. It is very interesting to be on the other side of the table. I was not the one who has sweaty palms, cracking voice, clicking my pen out of nervousness. I was surprised by how much you notice people's "twitches" when they are in an uncomfortable or nervous situation. I also realized its not easy to be on the opposite side of the table. Trying to figure out if this person is for real, or are they just telling me what I want to hear.

At the end of the day, it's a total crap-shoot. You just hope you selected the right candidate so that you don't have to go back to the drawing board.

No comments:

Post a Comment