Monday, June 22, 2009

What's in a name?

What's in a name? My name is common. It seems rather simple, and most of the time it's considered a nickname to the even more common name, Jennifer. It was immortalized in one of my favorite movies, Forrest Gump. I couldn't go anywhere without some one slurrying "JENNEEEYYY" in a heavy southern drawl and then following it with the ever popular, "Run Forrest Run".

Finding a name for this blog has to be one of the hardest assignments of my life. Yes, at 29, I'm assigning things to myself. If I don't, they will never get done. A friend of mine says blogging is therapeutic. I hope so. Life is chaotic right now - homeowner, full-time job and masters degree in progress. May not seem that stressful but at the moment, I would most like to crawl in a hole somewhere and never be found.

So, do you have a point Jenny? Yes, I'm getting there...for most of my life, everyone has decided to change my name to Jennifer. I think I had Jennifer on each report card, perfect attendance and honor roll certificate until the 5th grade. People, my name is not Jennifer. Just a quick look at my birth certificate will prove it...the name is Jenny. Why is it so hard for people to understand, that my name would just be Jenny...not short for anything?

So, after much deliberation on a name for my blog, I decided to keep it simple and to the point...the name is Jenny. I'm fond of my name. Beyond the "is it y or i" question, most people get it right. Hispanic family, not so much...I've seen Yenney, Yeny...you name it, I've seen it.

There you have it. I don't know where this will take me or even if I keep it up. But, at least you know not to call me Jennifer.


1 comment:

  1. Great post, Jennif... eh, whoops.

    Best,
    Saquib "Suhrab" (Not Robert) Asghar

    ReplyDelete